Building Applications

Before applying for a building permit with the City of Fort Lupton

Paper Applications

While it is encouraged to apply for your building permits on Cascade, we understand that there may be instances where you need to submit a hard copy instead. Those applications are available below or at City Hall: Please note that your permit will still need to be processed through Cascade so a valid email address is required.

For more information on the Building Permit Application process with the City, visit the page at ProCode, Inc. Fort Lupton.

Reviewing the Transportation Map may assist you with any setback requirements for signs or fences.

Please allow 7-10  business days for residential dwelling plans and up to Twenty (20) days for the review of Commercial plans.

Total Construction Valuation

The value of construction shall include the prevailing fair market value of all labor,
materials & equipment, whether actually paid or not, as well as all finished work, painting, roofing, electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, elevators, fire-extinguishing systems, automatic sprinkler systems, other mechanical systems, and other permanent work of equipment, not including furnishings. The Building Official shall make the final determination of the value of construction as specified in Section R108.3 of the International Building Code

Expiration of Permits

  • A notice will be sent out 30 days before the expiration date of the permit
  • If you need to request an extension, please complete the form and submit it before the expiration date. One extension per permit is allowed.

Amending/Revisions of permits

  • If you need to revise or amend your permit, please fill out the application. Include all changes including valuation adjustments and submit them to the Building Department for review.

Payment Options 

Online payments are now available through the Cascade portal. Please note that there is now a 3.95% processing fee for all credit card payments either online, in person, or on the phone. You also have the option of paying with cash, check, or money order.

HOA or Metro District Properties

 HOA, or homeowners association, is a self-governing organization in “common-interest” communities where homeowners collectively pay fees to maintain the units or neighborhood. HOA' s are typically run by resident homeowners and unpaid volunteers who are elected to a board of directors that oversees the HOA's management. The City does not enforce its regulations.

Metro districts are independent governmental entities formed to finance, design, acquire, install, construct, operate, and/or maintain public improvements. 

However, the City of Fort Lupton does not enforce its requirements, we will suggest that you check with your HOA or Metro District before pulling a permit. 

(A list of required permits is listed at the bottom of this page)

Additional Information- Q & A's 

Q. What is needed for a ramp?

  • handrails (height, spacing, etc.)
  • framing width
  • degree of ramp slope 
  • landing outside or door needs to be 5’x5’
  • site plan indicating the location of ramp and dimensions. 

Q. What other departments use Cascade?

  • Public Works
  • Planning & Building
  • Code Enforcement.
  • Fire Department reviews are being conducted in Cascade, except for the Fire Suppression permit. This permit will be submitted to the Fire Department separately.

Q. What would delay the release of my permit?

  • Unlicensed/Expired contractor license(s)
  • Missing or additional required document(s)
  • Nonpayment.

Q. Why am I not able to choose the permit type, when creating a permit?

  • If your license hasn't been fully validated, contact the Building Department to adjust this feature.

Q. Why can't I see my business name when creating a permit?

  • This means you are not licensed by the City of Fort Lupton

Q. What licenses require state certification?

  • Electrical
  • Plumbing

Q. Are permits transferable?

  • No

Q. How long do permits last?

  • Permits are good for 6 months or 180 days. As you call in for inspections, this will extend your end date.

Q. Do I need a permit for a fence?

  • If you are replacing less than 50% of an existing fence, you will not need a permit. 
  • If you are replacing more than 50% or installing a new fence, you will need a permit. 
  • For more information on fences visit our Codes & Design Criteria Tab

Q. Do I need a shed permit?

  • Yes, If the shed is more than 120 sq. ft.  
  • Sheds larger than 150 sq. ft. are considered an accessory buildings.

Q. Do I need a permit for a concrete patio?

  • Yes, you will need to obtain a permit to install a concrete patio. 
  • Driveway or sidewalk permits are obtained through the Public Works Department.

Q. What happens if my permit expires?

  • If you allow your permit to expire, you may be required to reapply subjected to violation and/or additional fees
  • The permit will be voided if work has not commenced within the first 180 days from the date of issuance. Please submit a letter to the Building Department so that we may void your permit. (No refunds will be issued)

Q: Who needs to be listed as the certificate holder on the insurance?

  • Fort Lupton 130 S McKinley Ave Fort Lupton CO 80621

Q. I am licensed in other municipalities, will you accept that license?

  • No, Fort Lupton will not accept licensing from other municipalities.

Q. How do I schedule an inspection?

Items that Require Building Permits

This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. Contact the Building Department before the start of your project to confirm if building permits are required.

  • Addition
  • Air Conditioner
  • Back Yard/Chicken Bees
  • Basement Finish 
  • Concrete flatwork inside property lines
  • Cover existing porches/decks/patios of any heights
  • Deck/Patio/Balcony/Pergola
  • Demolition (if on footings). An asbestos Certificate from the state may be needed.
  • Detached/Attached Garage and/or Carport (fabric canopies not permitted) 
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces & Wood Pellet Stoves
  • Furnace
  • Interior remodels/tenant finish 
  • Minor electrical repairs
  • Outside gas fireplaces
  • Porch railing (depends on the height of the existing porch)
  • Roofing 
  • Sheds (if more than 120 sq. ft., If over 150 sq. ft. an ILC required)
  • Siding/Stucco
  • Signs-some signs are exempted - see the Code or contact the Building Department for information)
  • Steps/ramps (concrete or other)
  • Swimming Pool/Hot Tub
  • Water heater
  • Windows (only if the size and/or shape is changing)
  • Over-the-Counter Permit Types

  • Air Conditioner-Replacement/Repair
  • Furnace-Replacement/Repair
  • Water Heater-Replacement/Repair
  • Residential- Electrical Service Change
  • Re-Roof
  • Misc Residential, Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing.

     Code Enforcement

  • Temporary RV Parking

   Public Works 

  • Driveway access
  • ROW
  • Transportation
  • Street Paving
  • Dumpster Roll Off
  • Pot Holes
  • Sewer/Water
  • Water Meter/Hydrant

Items that do not Require Building Permits:

  • Demolition (if structure not on footing; an Asbestos Certificate from the State may be needed)
  • Fence repair (if you are repairing/replacing less than 50% of an existing fence)
  • Landscaping (watch for sight triangle)
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessories for detached one- and two-family-dwellings 
  • Window awnings in Group R-3 and U occupancies are supported by an exterior wall that does not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and does not require additional support. 
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that is less than 24 inches (610 mm)
    deep, are not greater than 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and are installed entirely above ground
  • Retaining walls if less than 4' tall (call for locates and contact Public Works before digging)
  • Sprinkler repairs
  • Roofing- (repairing or replacing less than 1 square (100sq. ft) of shingles)
  • One-Story detached accessory structures are used as a tool, storage, playhouse, and similar uses provided the floor plan is not greater than 120 Square feet.