Home Occupation Application
Prior to conducting any commercial activities within a residence, a Home Occupation Certification must be applied for and approved by the Planning Department. The number of customers and employees permitted is limited pursuant to Code requirements, and the activities must not affect the surrounding neighborhood. (See Section 16-65 of the Municipal Code.
Home occupations must meet the following standards:
- Other than residents of the dwelling containing the home occupation, there shall be no more than one (1) additional full- or part-time employee working at the site of the home occupation.
- The employee and clients may park in off-street parking spaces on the site of the home occupation or in on-street spaces adjoining the site of the home occupation.
- Space used by the home occupation shall not exceed five hundred (500) square feet or thirty percent (30%) of the total floor area of the dwelling, whichever is less. The home occupation shall be conducted entirely within the dwelling or designated accessory buildings.
- The home occupation shall be clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the dwelling for dwelling purposes and must not change the residential character thereof.
- There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the dwelling or of the premises or other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation, except for a limited amount of signage as specified in this Chapter.
- There shall be no exterior storage on the premises of material, merchandise or equipment used as a part of the home occupation.
- No equipment or process shall be used in such home occupation which creates any glare, fumes, odors, noise or other objectionable conditions detectable to the normal senses at the property line, if conducted in a single-family dwelling, or outside of the dwelling unit, if conducted in a multi-family dwelling.
- Home occupations may not generate more than ten (10) business-related vehicle trips per day.
- The following uses shall not be permitted as home occupations: motor vehicle, boat or trailer repair or service; machine or welding shops; sexually oriented businesses; or any other businesses that attract more than two (2) clients or customers at any one (1) time
For more information on the requirements for a Home Occupation Certificate contact the Planning Department at 303-857-6694. An application to request for a home occupation can be found at Home Occupation Application.